Neverwinter: Underdark Now Available
Dive Deeper into Dungeons & Dragons Lore with an Original Questline Written by New York Times Best-Selling Author R.A. Salvatore
Tuesday, November 17, 2015 —
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – November 17, 2015 – Today, Perfect World Entertainment Inc., a leading publisher of free-to-play MMORPGs, and Cryptic Studios launched Neverwinter: Underdark – the eighth expansion of the action MMORPG set in the Dungeons & Dragons’ Forgotten Realms universe from Wizards of the Coast – on PC, with Xbox One to follow in early 2016. Join forces with Drizzt Do’Urden and his companions summoned to battle demonic forces erupting from the Underdark, including an all-new 10-player encounter against the Prince of Demons, Demogorgon.
When a spell turns against the Archmage of Menzoberranzan, powerful demons spill into the Underdark, beginning a series of events that coincide with the Rage of Demons storyline from Wizards of the Coast. Neverwinter: Underdark lets players jump into that story to battle these demons and send them back to the Abyss. Full of new content and quality-of-life updates, this expansion continues to improve the constantly-evolving MMORPG. The full list of additions includes:
- 10-player encounter with the two-headed demon lord, Demogorgon
- Adventure alongside iconic Dungeons & Dragons characters including Drizzt Do’Urden, Bruenor Battlehammer and Regis in a new questline, “The Dwarven King”, written by New York Times Best-Selling Author R.A. Salvatore
- All-new campaign including new in-game rewards inspired by the Rage of Demons storyline from Wizards of the Coast
- Mantol-Derith, a new non-combat adventurer hub found in the Underdark
- Two new end-game skirmishes, each with two different ways to achieve victory
- Rifts in the Abyssal plane now summon Demonic encounters throughout the Sword Coast adding variety to open-world Heroic Encounters
- Updates to the Trade Bar Store allowing easier access to items and economy adjustments
- Gear Preview allows players to see how all equippable items will look on their characters
- Additional Strongholds content including a new resource plot and PvP tower
- Artifact weapons can be reforged into new artifact weapons via double refinement above rank 15
- Masterwork Items now obtainable from endgame Professions tasks
- Boons tied to successfully quelling demonic presence in the Underdark campaign
“Neverwinter: Underdark continues the longstanding relationship between Cryptic and the D&D, allowing us to further flesh out content to official storylines from Wizards of the Coast,” said Rob Overmeyer, executive producer of Neverwinter. “As Dungeons & Dragons fans, we have always theorycrafted adventures that we want to play ourselves in Neverwinter. Collaborating with Salvatore to create adventures that put our characters alongside Drizzt and Bruenor is a huge opportunity. Underdark is just the beginning, as our team has even more ideas to deliver content that D&D fans will continue to enjoy.”
“It’s great to see that our friends at Cryptic are just as susceptible to demonic invasion as the rest of the D&D community,” said Nathan Stewart, Brand Director of Dungeons & Dragons. “Here’s hoping Neverwinter players are able to stave off the sinuous madness that Demogorgon can produce in even the most stalwart of heroes, Drizzt included.”
Neverwinter is a free-to-play action MMORPG that features fast-paced combat and epic dungeons. Players explore the vast city of Neverwinter and its surrounding countryside, learning the vivid history of the iconic city in the Forgotten Realms and battling its many enemies. Neverwinter is currently available on PC and digitally for Xbox One, available free-to-play with Gold* from the Xbox Games Store.
*On Xbox, Xbox Live Gold membership (sold separately) required.